If you have a weed problem in your garden then you might need to consider using weed barrier fabric. It is much better for the environment than using weed killer chemicals and sprays, and it lasts a long time.
You can install it during landscaping or when you plant new plants in your garden, and it is easy to use.
There are lots of different weed barrier fabrics available to purchase online. We have put together this list of the best weed barrier fabrics to help you decide which one is going to be the best fit for your garden. Keep reading to find out more.
Best Weed Barrier Fabrics
This heavy duty weed blocking fabric is a bestseller and comes very highly recommended by gardeners. It is very easy to install – you don’t need to be a professional to get professional quality weed control in your garden.
Whilst it is heavy duty on weeds, it is lightweight to carry. This means that you can easily transport the roll of fabric around the garden as you install it.
The fabric is breathable, allowing air and water through so that it can penetrate the soil. This keeps your plants happy and healthy whilst stopping the weeds.
This prevents the need for weed-killing chemicals, which means your garden will be more eco-friendly. The fabric is built to last and is very durable.
This fabric is available in different sizes, from 30ft by 50ft up to 4 ft by 250 ft. This product is also available directly from Ecogardener.
- Breathable – Water and air will still be able to reach the soil
- Eco-friendly – It will last a long time and prevents the need for weed-killer
- Quality – This is a top quality product to use in your garden
- Fraying – You need to be careful when you cut the fabric to size that it doesn’t fray too much around the edges
- Lightweight – Whilst the lightweight nature is useful, it can easily blow around during installation on a windy day
This heavy duty weed barrier fabric is made out of polypropylene which is very durable and long lasting. It won’t rot,even in wet conditions or soil that has a low PH level. This means that the fabric will remain effective for a long time.
It is sold in one roll that has a total square footage of 215 feet. The roll measures 6.5 feet by 32 feet, and you can easily cut it down to size to install it in your garden.
This fabric has excellent drainage which means that you won’t have issues with flooding in your garden.
It also allows the roots of the plants quick access to water when you are watering them, keeping them healthy and hydrated.
The fabric is permeable to let the water through, but keeps the soil from rising up which means that the area won’t get messy or muddy. This is important for landscaping.
This product is ideal for gardens, driveways, patios, gravel, bark chippings, greenhouses and more. It is also available from Blue Rose’s Garden.
- Durable – The polypropylene is long lasting and durable even in difficult conditions
- Size – You get a total of 215 square feet of fabric to use in your garden
- Drainage – It is permeable so that the water can drain through quickly to prevent flooding
- Versatile – You can use this fabric for lots of different garden projects
- Fraying – You need to be careful when placing the fabric to get it right the first time – if you have to pull the pins out and try again then the fabric could tear and fray
- Creases – Some customers found that the fabric arrived creased which made it harder to install
This is a very popular product and it is available in different sizes – the smallest is 3 feet by 100 feet and the largest is 5 feet by 300 feet. It is made out of heavy duty, high quality, professional grade polypropylene which is durable and will last a long time.
It is UV treated to prevent sun damage so you can even install it in direct sunlight.
This fabric is permeable and breathable which ensures that the soil underneath will remain healthy and well balanced. It is resistant to corrosion and is very easy to cut and install.
You can use this fabric for a range of different landscaping projects and it is only available to purchase from Amazon
- Sizes – There are different sizes to choose from so you can find one that suits you
- Durable – It is made out professional grade polypropylene which is very durable and long lasting
- Resistant – It is UV treated to protect against sun damage and is also resistant to corrosion
- Permeable and Breathable – Water and air will still be able to reach the soil
- Fraying – When you trim the material to fit your space it could cause fraying so you might be better off folding it
- Tearing – If you place sharp objects on top of the fabric like rocks or gravel then it could tear
This is an excellent product that is ideal for various outdoor projects and landscaping jobs. It comes in different sizes ranging from 3 feet by 50 feet up to 6 feet by 350 feet and is also available in different thicknesses.
This fabric is especially designed with high permeability so that the soil underneath will receive plenty of water. This also helps to prevent flooding as the water won’t gather on top of the fabric.
The soil will not only retain humidity but it will also have great access to airflow as the fabric is breathable. This ensures that your plants will remain healthy.
You can use this fabric for gardens, driveways, flower beds, vegetable patches, greenhouses and more. The fabric is very easy to cut and install, green lines to help you line up the material and keep it straight. It is only available to purchase from Amazon.
- Versatile – You can use this fabric for various outdoor projects
- Sizes – There are different sizes to choose from so you can choose one that suits you
- Permeable – The water is able to pass through the fabric into the soil
- Breathable – The air can easily reach the soil to keep the plants healthy
- Fraying – There might be some fraying on the edges when you cut the material down to size.
This product has a lot of positive reviews from customers who have used it in their gardens with great effect. It is available in different sizes – 3 feet by 300 feet, 4 feet by 300 feet, and 6 feet by 300 feet.
You can also buy multi-packs if you have a large surface area to cover. This makes it great value for money for people with larger gardens and outdoor spaces.
This is made from durable material and is guaranteed to last for at least 5 years, even when placed in direct sunlight.
This is ideal for people who live in warm climates or have gardens that are in the sun all day long. The fabric is UV treated so it won’t damage in the sun.
This fabric is permeable which prevents flooding as the water can drain straight through to the soil. It is also breathable which means that the soil will remain aerated, keeping the plants healthy.
It is a great alternative to weed killer chemicals and is good for the environment.
- Size – There are different size options depending on how big your garden is
- Durable – The material is durable and will last at least 5 years even in direct sunlight due to the UV treatment
- Drainage – The fabric is permeable to allow water to reach the soil
- Breathable – The soil will remain aerated as the fabric is breathable
- Thickness – The fabric is too thick to cut with scissors so you will need a razor blade or box cutter
- Fraying – The ends can fray when you cut the material down to size
This heavy duty weed barrier fabric is super durable and long lasting. It has great thickness and is good value for money. You can choose from different sizes ranging from 3 feet by 50 feet up to 6 feet by 250 feet which gives you lots of options.
The polypropylene fabric blocks out over 97% of sunlight and is UV treated so it won’t damage even in direct sunlight. The high density woven fabric is ideal for blocking the growth of weeds, but still lets water through from the surface to the soil.
It also allows the air to flow through so the soil will remain healthy.
The stripes on the material help you to install the fabric in a straight line, making it much easier for you. This product is only available to purchase from Amazon
- Durable – The polypropylene is very durable and will last a long time
- Thickness – It blocks out a lot of sunlight due to its thickness and is UV treated
- Permeable – The water will soak through the fabric into the soil
- Breathable – The soil will still have access to air
- Fraying – As with other similar products, there is a possibility of fraying when you cut the material down to size
- Tearing – If you are using this fabric underneath gravel or a rock feature then you might find that it tears a little
One of the great things about this product is that you can choose from multiple different sizes, which makes it easy to find a roll that will be ideal for your outdoor space. This reduces the amount of trimming you will need to do.
The smallest size is 3 feet by 50 feet and the largest size is 4 feet by 180 feet. It also comes in two different thicknesses.
The thickest option is at least 2 times thicker than most weed barrier fabrics which gives you even more protection against unwanted grasses and weeds.
It is durable and easy to install, and is suitable for lots of different landscaping and outdoor projects.
This fabric will last a long time even in the sunlight. It is permeable which means the water can pass through the fabric into the soil. It is also breathable so the soil will get plenty of air. This product is also available at Walmart and Wayfair.
- Size – There are different options for size which makes it easier to find one that is ideal for your garden
- Thickness – There are two different thicknesses to choose from which gives you more protection against weeds
- Permeable – The water can pass through the fabric to the soil
- Breathable – The soil will still be able to get plenty of air
- Fraying – If you are cutting the material down to size then it can fray a little at the edges
- Cutting – You need to use a razor to cut the fabric as scissors will struggle to get through the fabric
How To Choose The Best Weed Barrier Fabric
We have recommended the best weed barrier fabrics that you can buy online. Now it is time for you to decide which product is going to be the best option for you. Here are some factors that you should consider when making your choice.
Weed barrier fabrics can vary in price depending on which brand you use. You need to decide how much money you are willing to spend to make sure that you stick to your budget. You don’t need to spend a lot of money to get a good quality weed barrier fabric.
You should measure the surface area of the part of your garden that you want to use weed barrier fabric on. There might be several different areas in your garden that need the fabric.
Once you have an idea of the combined surface area, you will know how much weed barrier fabric you will need to buy. The fabric usually comes in a roll that you can cut down to size.
It is best to use a single piece of fabric wherever possible rather than several strips to cover one area, so keep this in mind when selecting the size of the roll.
It is important that the weed barrier fabric you use is breathable. The soil underneath the fabric needs to have access to air and water in order for your plants to grow healthy and strong.
If the soil dries out or is not aerated then your plants will die or will have stunted growth.
The weed barrier fabric needs to be permeable enough to drain the surface water off the ground, otherwise you will experience flooding in your garden. The water needs to soak through the fabric quickly so that it will be absorbed by the soil and not collect on the fabric.
If the fabric does not have good drainage then it will be bad for your plants and for your garden.
You need to think about how you are going to secure your weed control fabric into the ground. Will it be weighed down with turf or bark chippings?
Do you need metal pegs or wooden stakes to pin the fabric to the ground? Some weed barrier fabrics come with the pegs or stakes which will save you money, as you won’t need to purchase them separately.
Weed barrier fabrics are a great way to keep your garden weed-free without hurting the environment. They are simple to install and last a long time, making them an affordable and practical solution for any gardener.
Make sure you measure the space before buying the roll of fabric to ensure that you get the right size.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about weed barrier fabric.
What Is Weed Barrier Fabric Made Out Of?
Weed barrier fabric is usually made out of polypropylene which means that it will not rot into the ground or disintegrate. It tends to be black in color.
How Long Does Weed Barrier Fabric Last?
The longevity of the weed barrier fabric will depend on which product you buy. If you purchase a good quality weed barrier fabric then you can expect it to last for up to 20 years.
How Does Weed Barrier Fabric Work?
The weed barrier fabric sits on top of the soil. You make a hole in the fabric just big enough so that it will sit snugly around the base of the plant. This means that your plant grows above the fabric and has access to sunlight.
The fabric blocks all sunlight from reaching the soil, preventing the growth of any undesirable plants and weeds. This protects your plants and keeps your garden looking neat and tidy.
Are Weed Barrier Fabrics Bad For The Soil?
A good quality weed barrier fabric will allow air and water through to the soil, keeping it in good condition. They also prevent the need for chemical weed killers so they are good for the soil and for the ecosystem of your garden.